Mexican Loteria cards are cards that are used with Mexican Loteria. There are little riddles or sayings that go with each card. I recently learned that there are actually different sayings depending on the region of Mexico. I am posting the ones I know of, along with my interpretations of what the cards might mean in a reading. I love these little cards, the symbols and riddles highlight much of life.
PLEASE NOTE: These interpretations are my personal work and are copy
righted as such. You may copy and use them for your own personal use but please
do not republish them on any other blog or web site. Instead use a link to this
page. Thank you.
1.. El Gallo: El que le canto a San Pdero no le volvera a cantar: The Rooster: He that sang for St. Peter will not return to sing again.
Interpretations: Beware of betrayal OR Someone who has betrayed you will not do it again OR The person who is trying to warn/advise you is going to give up.
Posts: El Gallo
2. El Diablito: Portate bien cuatito si note lleva el coloradito: The Little Devil: Behave yourself so that the little red one doesn't carry you off.
Posts: El Diablito
Interpretations: Make sure you are behaving yourself OR A little mischief is in the making OR someone is causing a bit of trouble in this situation.
3. La Dama: La dama puliendo el paso, por todo la calle real: The Lady: The lady taking an elegant walk along main street.
Interpretations: Handle this issue with grace and elegance OR Keep your manners about you OR This is all for show. Someone is showing off or pretending.
Posts: La Dama
4. El Catrin: Don ferruco en las almeda su baston queria tirar: The Dandy: Don Ferruco in the Alamda, he wanted to toss away his cane and polish his steps.
Interpretations: Let go of what you are holding onto and reach a new level OR Always strive for self improvement OR When something isn't working, try a new approach OR Be carefree, trust your instincts.
Posts: El Catrin
5. El Paraguas: Para el sol y para el agua: The Umbrella: For the sun and the rain
Interpretations: Someone or something is protecting you in good or bad times OR Be prepared for the good and the bad in any situation OR Always look at both sides of the situation (at least you have an umbrella)
6. La Sirena: Con los cantos de sirena no te vayas marear: The Mermaid: Don't get dizzy with the songs of the mernmaid.
Interpretations: Don't get carried away with emotion. OR Keep a clear head OR Look at the factors that are influencing you closely.
7. La Escalera: Subeme paso apasito. Ho quieras pegar brinquitos: The Ladder Climb me step by step. You don't want to hop up.
Interpretations: Take it slow and steady, don't go to fast OR You are moving forward in the issue, keep going.
8. La Bottella: La hermienta del borracho. The Bottle: The tool of the drunk
Interpretations: Caution, there is an obsession or addiction here OR drinking is involved in this issue OR Someone is trying to forget their sorrow.
9. El Barril: Tanto bebio el albanil que quedo commo barril. The Barrel: The bricklayer drank so much that he ended up like a barrel.
Interpretations: Beware of alcohol involved in this situation OR Do not over indulge in anything. OR There are always consequences for our actions. Examine what they might be. OR Too much of anything is not a good thing.
10. El Arbol: El que a buen arbol se arrima buena sombra le cobija: The Tree: He that seeks the shelter of a good tree, good shade covers him.
Interpretations: Good friends are like a good tree, they offer you shade OR Make good choices and you will be fine OR See the good in life and you will always be ok OR Make sure you are a person of character and you will be protected OR If you ask for help from a good person, you shall receive it.
11. El Melon: Me lo das me lo quitas: The Melon: I can take it or leave it.
Interpretations: Simply take it or leave it, you decide OR It is time to make a decision OR Which ever choice you make won't have a big impact.
12. El Valiente: Por que le corres cobarde trayendo tan buen punal....The Hero: Why are you running like a coward when you are carrying such a good dagger?
Interpretations: Do not be afraid, you have what you need to be successful. OR Don't let fear rule this situation.
13. El Gorrito: Ponle su gorrito al nene no se nos vaya a resfriar: The Little Bonnet: Put the baby's little cap on, let's don't cause him to catch cold.
Interpretations: Someone needs protected or shielded in this issue OR Take care of those you care about
14. La Muerte: La muerte sirqui siaca. Death: Skinny death.
Interpretations: Denying self something, Dissatisfaction with body/self, Lovesick or missing someone
15. La Pera: El que espera desespera. The Pear: He who waits despairs.
Interpretations: Do not wait too long or you will despair OR someone is giving up in this situation OR waiting is not the best choice here...take action.
16. La Bandera: Verde blanco y colorado, ta badnera del soldado: The Flag: Green, white, and red, the flag of the soldier
Interpretations: Stand behind what you believe in OR There are strong beliefs in this situation and people will defend their position.
17. El Bandolon: Tocando su bandolon esta el mariachi Simon. The Mandolin The mariachi Simon is playing his big mandolin.
Interpretations: Someone is playing music in this situation (making others dance). OR Keep cheerful, follow the beat.
18. El Violoncello: Creciendo se fue hasta el Cielo y como no fue violon.Tuvo que ser violocello: The Cello: Growing he went up to heaven and because he wasn't a violin, he had to be a cello.
Interpretations: Grow up and recognize the harsh realities of life OR When something blocks your way, go another direction OR Even if you can't have what you want, you can enjoy what you have.
19. La Garza: Al otro lado del rio, tengo me banco de arena, donde se sienta me chata pico de garza moreno. The Heron: On the other side of the river is the sandbar where sits my honey with a beak like a brown heron.
Interpretations: True love is there but you might have a ways to go to find it. OR Look and you will find what you are seeking, maybe in an unlikely place.
20. El Pajaro: Tu me traces a puros brincos como pajaro en la rama: The Bird: You've got me jumping to it like a bird on a branch.
Interpretations: Someone/something is pulling your chain or making you jumpy. OR Don't just pretend to take action and flutter around...actually DO something about this issue. OR a certain level of nervousness is present.
21. La Mano: La nam de un criminal: The Hand: The hand of a criminal
Interpretations: Someone in the issue is being dishonest OR People do not change their true nature. OR Be careful of the choices you make.
22. La Bota: Una bota es igual Porte: The Boot: One boot is the same as the other.
Interpretations: Of two choices, one is as good as the other OR Nothing has changed, things are in a rut OR You might "see" things differently but you are more alike than you think.
23. La Luna: El farol de enamorados: The Moon: The lantern of lovers
Interpretations: Love or romance is present OR Be careful that strong emotion is not influencing the situation OR Put a brighter light on the situation, something is clouding your vision.
24. El Cotorro: Cotora, daca la pata y empiezame. The Parrot: Parrot, land here and chat with me.
Interpretations: Somone needs to talk to you or you need to talk to someone. OR Don't get so busy that you do not listen to others. OR someone is gossiping or repeating what you say (caution)
25. El Borracho: A ue borracho tan necio ya no lo puedo aguantar. The Drunk: I cannot put up with the foolish drunk.
Interpretations: Someone is being foolish in their ways or drinking too much. OR Be cautious about overindulgence of any kind. OR Remember what your actions look like to others.
26. El Negrito: El que se comio el azucar: The Negro: He who ate the sugar.
Interpretations: Someone is experiencing difficulty but is still seeing the sweetness of life OR We do what we need to do to get through life.
27. El Corazon: No me extranes corazon que regresso en el camion: The Heart: Don't miss me, heart, because I will retun in a truck.
Interpretations: Don't give up OR This love is true OR A longing for someone or something.
28. La Sandia: La barriga que Juan tenia ere empacho de sandia. The Watermelon: John's belly was stuffed full of watermelon.
Interpretations: Things are going well. OR Indulge in the pleasures of life OR There is enough here, do not worry.
29. El Tambor: No te arrugues cuero viejo que te quiero pa'tambor. The Drum: Don't wrinkle old leather, because I want you for my drum.
Interpretations: Careful, someone wants you. OR There is value here. OR Things may not be as they appear.
30. El Camaron: Camaron que se duerme se lo lleva al corriente. The Shrimp: The shrimp that sleeps is carried by the current.
Interpretations: He who hesitates is lost. OR Take some action or you will be pulled about by others. OR Take control of the situation. OR Being passive is not the best choice here.
31. Las Jaras (The Arrows) Las jaras del indio Adan donde pegan dan. "The arrows of the Indian Adam where they are joined together.
Interpretations: Something is bound tightly, just as the arrows. This may be good or bad. OR The arrows are held tightly together (arrows weapons...so) the challenge in this situation is difficult, like a battle.
32. El Musico (The Musician) El musico trompa de hule, ya no me quiere tocar. "The muscian has oiled his horn; now he doesn't want to play for me."
Interpretations: Something you thought was going to happen is not going to. OR Someone is "acting" as if they are a certain way or going to help BUT they are deceiving you OR Sometimes we think/feel a certain way but then when the time comes we change our minds. Someone is being stubborn.
33. La Arana (The Spider) Atarmatamela a palos no me la dejes Hegar. "Stun it with blows; just don't let her get me."
Interpretations: Someone means you harm, be careful. OR You need to act, don't wait because waiting will put you at risk. OR this situation/person requires swift decisive action.
34. El Soldado
(The Soldier) Uno, does y tres, el soldado p'al cuartel. "One. two, three, and the soldier goes to the barracks."
Interpretations: Doing things in an orderly fashion or following directions will be helpful. OR Someone in this situation is being rigid and following along without questioning. OR Sometimes doing what we know how to do is the only choice.
35. La Estrella (The Star) La guia de los marineros. "The sailor's guide"
Interpretations: Something or someone will guide you. OR You are lost, look for guidance OR There is hope and help available, you just need to recognize it.
36. El Cazo (The Melting Pot) El cazo que te hago es poco. The attention I pay you is little.
Interpretations: You are missing something important. Pay attention OR Don't let things get to you, ignore them. OR You are feeling ignored in this situation.
37. El Mundo (The World) Este mundo es una bola y nosotros un bolon. The world is a sphere and we a foundation.
Interpretations: Everything in the world/situation is inter-related. OR You must be strong, the foundation of this situation. OR Look to the foundation or the beginning of this situation.
38. El Apache (The Apache) (thug) Ay chihuahua! Cuanto apache con pantalon y huarache? Oh my goodness! How many thugs there are with trousers and sandals?
Interpretations: You are surround by danger or problems. OR There are people involved in this that can not be trusted.
39. El Nopal (The Cactus) Al que todos van a ver cuando tiene que comer. To which all go to see when they have to eat.
Interpretations: You know what you have to do to get what you need. OR There is a source of help for you.
40. El Alacran (The Scorpion) El que con la cola pica. He that bites with his tail.
Interpretations: Someone is about to stab you in the back/betray you OR There is danger about. OR Caution
41. La Rosa (The Rose) Rosa, Rosie Rosaura (Note there are three riddles I know of with this one) I prefer the one that translates: "Rosita, they see that I want you now".
Interpretations: Someone in this situation desires something very much OR Someone is being transparent. OR What is wanted is in plain sight and can not be ignored
42. La Calavera (The Skull) Al pasar por el panteon, me encontre una calavera. While passing the graveyard I found a skull.
Interpretations: Something about this situation is not exactly unexpected but a bit of a shock none the less OR Don't be surprised to find something exactly where it should be. OR When you get too close, expect to find something you aren't really looking for.
43. La Campana (The Bell) La campana y tu debajo. The bell and you beneath it.
Interpretations: Something is hanging over your head.
44. El Canarito (The Pitcher) Tanto va el cantaro al agua. The pitcher goes often to the water.
Interpretations: Someone is seeking something. OR Someone is being very persistent or perhaps obsessive. OR You know where to go to get what you need. Someone is not going to give up.
45. El Venado (The Deer) El venado no ve nada. The deer doesn't see anything.
Interpretations: Someone is ignoring something in this situation OR Someone is not telling you the truth.
46. El Sol (The Sun) La cobija de los pobres. The roof of the poor.
Interpretations: No matter how bad the situation there is shelter for you. OR Look on the bright side of things
47. La Corona (The Crown) El sombrero de los reyes. The hat of kings.
Interpretations: Beware who/what wears the crown. OR There is someone or something very important in this situation.
48. La Chalupa (The Sloop, little boat) Rema y rema va lupita, sentada en su chalupita. Paddle and paddle goes Lupita, seated in her little boat.
Interpretations: Small steps move you forward. OR Just because something seems insignificant doesn't mean it is.
49. El Pino (The Pine) Fresco, oloroso y en todo tiempo hermoso. Fresh, fragrant, and at all time beautiful.
Interpretations: There will be a positive outcome in this situation. OR Look at the good things in this situation. OR Always keep your head about you, stay calm and beautiful in the face of everything.
50. El Pescado (The Fish) El que por la boca muere. He who dies by the mouth.
Interpretations: It is better to keep your mouth shut. OR Someone is about to speak out and this will cause trouble. OR There is much miscommunication in this situation.
51. La Palma (The Palm Tree) Palmera sube a la palma y bajame un coco real. Keeper of the palms, climb the palm tree and bring me down a magnificent coconut.
Interpretations: You will receive that which you desire. OR Someone is working hard to please you.
52. La Maceta (The Flowerpot) El que nace pa'maceta no sale del corredor. He who is born to be a flowerpot will never leave the corridor.
Interpretations: Some people/things never change. OR Someone is not willing to do anything different than what they always do. OR Some things are meant to be.
53. El Arpa (The Harp) L'arpa vieja de mi suegra ya no sirve pa'tocar. My mother inlaws old harp is no longer of use to play
Interpretations: Old ways of doing things are no longer useful. OR Let go when the time is right. OR There is a time for everything.
54. La Rana (The Frog) Al ver a la verde rana que brinco pego tu hermana. See the green frog that jumped into your sister.
Interpretations: Recognize the things that scare you and others. OR It is just a little thing, nothing to be scared of. OR Be aware of the little things happening in this situation. OR you will be surprised by something.
PLEASE NOTE: These interpretations are my personal work and are copy righted as such. You may copy and use them for your own personal use but please do not republish them on any other blog or web site. Instead use a link to this page. Thank you.
Welcome to The Quest
The Quest, is about a journey all of us take, in some shape or form. It is the quest to understand self, the world, the universe, and in a sense the known and unknown aspects of life. At a deeper level perhaps the meaning of our existence or what we are here to do. So join me as I wander a bit across the landscape of the Lenormand cards, cartomancy, and various tarot and oracle decks. In and of themselves, they will reveal little, for it is only in combination with the mind, the heart, and that illusive aspect, the soul... that meaning is revealed.